Friday, January 3, 2014

Well, Hot Damn

Introductions seem like a good place to begin.

Well, I'm Dusty. It's nice to meet you.

I'm going to be complaining about a lot in this blog. Let me give you a neat little bulletin list:
  • The insanity of the political Right.
  • Reasons #1-10,000 why I haven't written anything today.
  • The stupidity of the political Left.
  • America's celebration of all that asinine.
  • How much I truly enjoy bulletin lists.
All that and more! Absolutely. It is entirely impossible that I will fail to be interesting.*

I'm a writer! I write things. And I've got to say, writing a book is a lot like how I imagine raising a child would be. Near the end, you're nearly as eye-droppingly, face-palmingly embarrassed as you are inanely, overbearingly proud.

Sending your novel to the publisher, to carry on with the metaphor, is a bit like helping your child apply to various colleges. Pride, hope, fear, and not a little bit of dread. Because while you desperately hope your baby succeeds in the real world, a small, selfish part of you wants to keep it all to yourself, to keep in your basement playing video games and eating your food.

But I digress.

Welcome to my blog! I can't guarantee much, but I will promise you this: metaphors that go on long after they cease to be useful, gratuitous language, and, of course, increasingly creative reasons why I haven't updated my blog.

Welcome to the party.

*It is very possible that I might fail to be interesting. But I snuck in an asterisk and fine print, so I can say I didn't lie with a straight face! Dusty, you are a genius.

1 comment:

  1. You make me laugh, Congrats on step 245 in the quest to being a full time writer. You win the golden elbow of doom award please step this way....

    ReplyDelete